Monday, August 24, 2009

Halleluyah! I learned how to work the WiiFit. I had to. Having announced on the blog that I was going to try it, I felt compelled to follow through. Also, I had encouragement from my teen-aged son, Max. Partly, I think, he was just eager to see me wield the Wii controls. I am not a video game player. Mostly what I do is work. In the kitchen. At shul. At meetings. Driving in the car. On the phone. In front of the computer. I am always working.

I remember when Max was little, around two and a half, and we were preparing for Passover (the presence of a toddler does not make this easier!) I wanted to convey to him something about the meaning of the holiday, so I described what it was like to be a slave. "What if you could never play?" I asked him. "What if all you could do was work, work, work all the time? In the morning, all day long, until late at night?" He thought for a moment. "You mean like you, Mommy?"

It was funny, of course. Part of me was appalled. Is that really how my baby saw me? As a drudge? What kind of a role model was I for him? And how would my actions affect his view of mothers in particular and women in general? The feminist in me recoiled. Big time.

But another part of me was secretly pleased. Because he had recognized my self-sacrifice and hard work. I wasn't playing the martyr, God forbid. But he had touched a chord and the echo of that remains with me. Endless work as a female badge of honor. An assuaging of guilt. A perverse kind of self-satisfaction.

I'm ready to move away from that. I don't believe that's what God demands of us. Of women. Of me.

So tonight, Max and I played on the WiiFit. It was hard, but he cheered me on. I did pretty badly on the balance exercises. (The Wii trainer asked me if I trip a lot when I walk! As if!) But I broke a sweat. And I made a start. I played with Max. And I had fun.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulatios! Maybe you'll write a book and have a movie made too.
    Seriously, this is wonderful. I wish we had gotten to see you guys this summer. But now I can still find out everything that's going on in your lives. Kol hakavod!
    Love,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy for you. Changing one's "life style" is very difficult, and we usually run into great resistance - mostly from ourselves. I'm enjoying reading. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us. Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shalom Reb Debbie--Your mention of your blog on Facebook piqued my curiousity. I, too, decided it was time to seriously take care of myself this summer, and started going to yoga class 3 times a week, as well as walking my new adopted Golden Retriever (he's been with us 7 weeks now) at least six miles a day. The yoga was really magical. I had done it before sporadically, but never a serious class three times a week for week after week. So there I am, smug and pleased with how much more fit I was getting, and then it was decreed on high that Galya Greenberg needed to learn the meaning of Proverbs 16:18 about pride coming before the fall--so I fell--tripped and fractured my ankle. Ate a quart of ice cream over the past two days. Spiraling downward! No, not really, I'll get a hold of myself. One of these days I'll go back to yoga and do everything I can do that doesn't involve the right foot, and just sit and breate in the good vibes when I can't do a specific asana. Anyway, I turned to your blog because you are such a good teacher and have an unbelievable sense of humor. Thanks for the blog and the possiblity of reading your words and feeling close to you daily!!!!!! Lots of love, Galya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rebbi Debbi; you are, as always, an inspiration and my favorite writer. Turn this into a book! All the best, Barbara in Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a great writer, makes perfect sense to blog. Isn't the Wii great? I've worked up quite a sweat with the Tennis and Boxing but quite frankly, don't have the guts for Wii Fit yet . . . I'm not ready to watch my Wii character change to fit my true dimensions! Jomarie

    ReplyDelete