Thursday, September 3, 2009

Have you looked up lately? Tonight, by any chance? Then you've seen the full moon, shining in the night sky. For my Muslim friends, the full moon marks the halfway point through the holy month of Ramadan. For Jews, it's the the halfway point of Elul. For rabbis, it's the beginning of panic time.

Tonight, at around 10:30pm, I found myself "picking up a few things for Shabbat." (This is what I told my daughter, who was waiting in the car. Just a few things, honest!) In the supermarket, I ran into several rabbinic colleagues. We all greeted each another the same way. Not with an early "Shabbat Shalom" or an even earlier "Shanah Tovah." No, our greeting was: "Please don't tell me you're all set for the holidays!" Evidently, panic loves company.

Of course, it's not serious panic (or not yet, at least.) But halfway through Elul, there is a sense of increased urgency. Halfway through Elul, it's time to get serious. Time to make some decisions (beyond brisket or turkey); time to get some words on paper (or onto a hard drive); time to make those calls (the hard ones you've been avoiding); time to make each day count.

For rabbis, for all of us, it's a challenge to balance the outer obligations with the essential, inner work of this season. Yet, the two are not entirely unconnected. Actions can and should be interwoven with intentions; reflection can and should fill our deeds, however, prosaic, with meaning. So yes, making your Bubbie's honey cake can be a "spiritual" Elul experience. And your resolve to become a kinder person in the coming year can be concretized with a visit, a donation, a phone call, a hug. Teshuvah/repentance/renewal can't take place entirely in one's head.

So what will I do with my next two weeks? Well, I have a long list. (Starting with the WiiFit tomorrow morning, because sitting at the computer for hours on end isn't the healthiest thing.) I'm not too panicked. Just please don't tell me you're set for the holidays already!

No comments:

Post a Comment